Sunday, March 7, 2010

The hat to suit all occasions

In a moment of whimsy, I decided to google image search my Rookie of the Year. I was trying to write an essay about the evolution of plant vasculature (I'm still tempted to hand in a piece of paper with my name on it, followed by the sentence "God did it," just to see how badly the lecturer will take it) and wondered if there were more interesting things to look at online. Turns out, there were. Note: not fascinating, but certainly more entertaining than the evolution of plant vasculature.

It would appear that Bruno Senna only has one hat. He seems to love this hat, wearing it everywhere with everything. Even when the occasion doesn't call for a hat (for example, an evening function indoors), The Hat makes an appearance. Take a look...

While being intervewed after a race, 2006

While hanging out with his Mum in Monaco, 2007
As an aside: I'm fairly sure Jimmy Carr would have something to say about the leopard-print outfit sported by Viviane.

While testing for Honda F1, 2008

While racing in the Le Mans Series, 2009

While attending the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, 2009

And, just when you thought The Hat had run out of opportunities to make an appearance...


While launching the Hispania Racing car, 2010
Is it just me, or does The Hat not go with that suit?

So, The Hat has longevity. The Hat has outlasted all the recent players in his love life. His Mum seems to approve of The Hat. I wonder what's going to happen if/when he makes a podium and a Bridgestone hat needs to make an appearance. Is he going to betray his beloved Hat in favour of a young, red one?

3 comments:

  1. I like that. It's gone beyond any sponsorship valuation and is now a signature
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bruno's blue hat. A guy walked past me yesterday wearing a similarly bright blue hat and my immediate thought was "Ooo.. Bruno??" (It wasn't him).

    Also, what a surprise to click on a link to read an article and... that tall grey haired bloke behind Bruno in the first pic is my dad. Wasn't expecting to see that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh, are we sure it's a signature, not a security blanket? It is how I recognise him in photos (well, the ones when he's not wearing his helmet), so I suppose it counts as a signature ;)

    Hehe, Lou, I've do the same thing regularly (there's a tall, slim, dark-haired guy who lives in this tiny town, walks everywhere and owns a blue cap)! Wow, your dad has internet fame! Your dad FTW!

    ReplyDelete