Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Disadvantage of Language-Geekery in Public Fora

I'm a geek; I have no problem in admitting that. As a geek, I read writers' guides to composition - a pursuit that includes the list of overused words. Because of the sheer volume of time that I spend trying to perfect my craft, the need to always structure sentences and paragraphs properly has spilled over into every aspect of my life. I'm quite sure this has happened to other people, mostly because I've met lecturers who looked baffled when someone didn't understand them.

This presents a conundrum.

On the one hand, one could try and speak like a normal person instead of mentally editing and analysing the grammar of the people one is speaking to (it was an effort to write it like that, and not say the stiff, grammatically correct "to whom one is speaking"). It feels strange, as though one trying to be someone else. On the other hand, one could speak like Sheldon. That means one come across as a verbose moron - something that generally gets worse when one has had a bit t drink.

So, to all of you who out there, please feel free to give me your opinions on whether using the extent of one's vocabulary is a good thing. Whether people with good vocabularies should make a conscious effort to sound more like the average, for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment