Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Lessons on a Bike - Training for the Epic Bike Ride Part 2

I didn't cycle the 200kms I had planned to do last week. I could pretend it was because of some major life event, but it wasn't; a few small things brought me down - a puncture that was beyond my skill level, a flooded kitchen, writing a risk avoidance strategy for the trip (my grandmother has major concerns about me riding so far on my own), and suchlike. In the end, I only managed about 120kms. 

I say 'about' because I got lost a few times. Google Maps tells me how far my planned route is; it doesn't calculate how far one has travelled down the wrong path before realising that it wasn't where one wanted to be. My brother assures me that if I had an iPhone, I could have an app that calculates my route distance, and speed, and time splits for each kilometre. Alas, I live in the technological Dark Ages, and the most useful thing my phone can do is unlock my bike (I attached a lanyard to it; my bike key is attached so I don't lose it).

Those [approximately] 120kms were a useful training exercise, however, so I don't feel too bad about not meeting my target. I've learned a few more things about life with a bicycle, the first being that you can pump a tyre up too hard - one should stop before the valve detaches itself from the inner tube. The second is that there are two kinds of people in the world that literally do not care where they stand or who might want to use that piece of real estate for travel - people with prams, and people catching taxis. If you cycle for more than three hours in a day, you will be hungry no matter how much you eat. Also, Rosslyn Chapel is beautiful, and the glenn (that's a valley with a forest and a river; if it was just a valley, it would be 'glen') next to it is enchanting. 

The last thing I learned this week is that I need a shopping list. The shopping list goes as follows:
- an iPhone (or other suitable smartphone with Google Maps and the bike workout app my brother uses)
- a decent camera (bonus points for good quality video recording capability)
- a sewing machine (have you any idea how hard it is to find '50s fashion in stores?)
- a co-rider or travel buddy for the trip (as much for my grandmother's peace of mind as it is to stave off the loneliness of the road)
- a superpower, preferably mind-control, but I would settle for super-speed or super-strength

(And as always, if you would like to sponsor me, click here to donate to Care International. It will be much appreciated)

No comments:

Post a Comment