Monday, September 10, 2012

Bike Ride of Epicness - Day Eight

I have now made it as far as Louth. Yesterday was an easy day in terms of distance - 90-odd kilometres - but I still managed to get hopelessly lost. Google Maps tends to send me by the wiggliest-windiest route, and none of the roads it suggests are signposted in a helpful way, for example "Louth - Right - 10 miles." Most of them don't have signposts at all, so I've got pretty good at getting directions. For future reference, people under the age of thirty are useless for directions, as are old ladies. Winner of the day was a farmer - slim, older man with an Einstein hairstyle - who stopped his tractor to chat to me as I stood on the side of the road looking confused. His directions were "follow me; the field I'm going to plough is just before the road you want." Towards the end of the day, I had found a farm road that looked like it went nowhere - but had been reassured that it went through to an A-road - and sat down for a cry. The sun was going down, there was no mobile signal, I'd almost run out of water, and I was tuckered out. A guy rode up - turns out he was a beat cop from Grimsby who was out testing his new road bike, and a very nice bike it was too - gave me a 150mL Coke and refilled my water bottle from his spare. He then rode with me to the nearest town with signal to call for assistance. 'Twas a good day after all. Today's mission is to get to Harlow - about 200km. No getting lost today!

P.S. Blogger seems to think I live in Hawaii. It's 6:20 a.m., not 10:20 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. He is sending you angels all along the way. so looking forward to the next blog! love you darling mum xxx

    ReplyDelete